You may have seen 3D Photos on your Facebook News Feed. Now’s your chance to learn how to take a selfie in 3D.
The best part? You don’t need to do any additional work to transform your photo (that’s right, no Photoshopping a depth map!). Transform your selfie into 3D now:
- Take a selfie on your phone 😉
- Email the photo to yourself? Why? Other means like texting/Whatsapp-ing your photo can compress the file, which leads to less than stellar 3D results.
- On a desktop computer or laptop, upload the photo on the OmniVirt 3D Photo Creator
- Select “Predict (Beta)”
- Select “Download 3D Photo Assets”
- Open Facebook and click on the Create Post box. Drag and drop the downloaded two files (ensure this naming convention: image.jpg and image_depth.jpg). Hint: Don’t drag and drop the zip file, but the two individual generated files.
Why can’t I just upload my selfie onto Facebook directly as a 3D Photo?
Actually, you can. However, success depends on the phone you have. Right now, Facebook supports mobile uploads of images taken on phones from certain iPhone models and a select few Android devices. For the majority of smartphone owners, people can create 3D photos by uploading an image and depth map onto Facebook.
If you don’t want to create a depth map, this is where OmniVirt can help. For photos featuring faces, you can use OmniVirt’s proprietary AI to predict the depth map. One click and your photo is in 3D.
Is this supported on Instagram?
Not yet, unfortunately. Facebook hasn’t yet rolled out its 3D Photo Feature on Instagram. Follow our Facebook page for announcements on Instagram roll-out.